Baked Gruyere and Sausage Omelet
Published May 13, 2016
- Butter, for greasing baking dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 pound mild turkey sausage, casings removed
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (4 ounces) grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Set the pan aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper, to taste, until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add the red bell pepper, 1 cup of Gruyere cheese and 1/4 cup of parsley. Stir in the onion mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut the baked omelet into wedges and sprinkle with remaining parsley before serving.